“Big life changes can crack open our heart and unleash higher levels of growth and love, if we open ourselves up to it” - Kimberly Snyder
One thing I know for sure… when you make the decision to elevate your life and reach for your highest potential, it requires you to shed a layer of your self, let go of old ways of doing things. In order to see big changes, we must be willing to make bigger changes. A new, stronger, more empowered version of you will arise as you release old, out dated habits.
During my recent life reinvention, I noticed I was feeling a little disconnected from my self and my intuitive senses. I needed some clarity in several different areas. While I usually feel very capable of making confident decisions, something just felt off. When I’m feeling disconnected from myself and the world around me, I always know that a sluggish system is likely the culprit so a wellness cleanse is a must. So, I instantly felt like “I need a whole body cleanse, stat!” It’s like a re-boot to your whole life system and something that can actually be more fulfilling and nurturing than a shopping spree or weekend getaway with the girls. If you are feeling the need for a pick me up or just a shift, a good week detox is your ticket.
I’m a big Kimberly Snyder fan and I love her approach to wellness, health and spirituality. “A week long detox is an effective and highly efficient way to cleanse our systems of toxins, practice self-care from the inside out, and de-clutter our lives from all of the habits that weigh us down”. This is about progress, not perfection. It’s about slowing down, paying attention to exactly what we are putting into our bodies and observing how it makes us feel so that we can reconnect with ourselves. So, if you are feeling disconnected from yourself, others or the world around you, I highly suggest de-cluttering and detoxing your system, it will help to not only release any pent up emotions but it will also give you a lighter sense of self and bring you clarity where you really need it.
As a mama, I am always trying to fill our home with healthy, nutrient rich foods that satisfy and make our bodies feel good. So a detox is a good way to step it up and help give your kitchen a good de-cluttering and cleanse it of all heavy, dense energy. When you curate a kitchen of beautiful foods, a beautiful feeling body will follow. I try not to focus on what is eliminated but on getting creative with how I can fill up my body with beautiful, fresh, nourishing foods.
In our home, we are slowly trying to cut way back on sugar. Not only because its incredibly bad for you but also because we want to make sure we feed our baby fresh, healthy foods and all natural sugars only. It’s too bad most everything you find at a grocery store has an obscene amount of sugar. Forget calories, sugar is a killer. Make sure you pay attention to everything and I mean everything (even siracha).
BENEFITS of a 7-DAY DETOX
Improved skin and complexion
Clear mind for less stress and more peaceful thinking
Reduces inflammation in the body and its triggers
Increased energy levels
Improved Mental and Emotional Health
Lessen allergic reactions like eczema, psoriasis, etc.
Speeds up metabolism and flushes out digestion system
Resolved headaches, muscle aches and fatigue
Increases the bodies absorption of vitamins and nutrients
HOW TO DETOX PROPERLY:
On the days when I detox, I really like to do intermittent fasting. Which is basically giving your digestion system a break for a long period of time. I allow myself to eat between the hours of 11am-8pm and thats it. You can do what works best for you. However, sometimes I am hungry when I first wake up, especially if I am not having coffee, so a healthy breakfast is required. P.S. I highly suggest grabbing yourself some beautiful dishes like these pink bowls to eat on, it makes eating mindfully easy, fun and glamorous.
– Green smoothie (banana, spinach, almond milk, fresh nut butter, strawberries)
– Berries on Greek Yogurt and granola
– Gluten-free steel cut oats with blueberries and cinnamon
– Avocado toast on grain-free crackers
– Avocado and tomato salad with balsamic vinegar
– Breakfast bowl (smoothie topped with unseated coconut flakes, hemp seeds, fresh fruit)
– Macrobiotic rice cereal breakfast (did you know brown rice for breakfast is a fat burner?)
– Steamed veggies over brown rice
– Hummus and vegetables
– Baked sweet potato
– Roasted cauliflower (bite sized pieces, toss with olive oil + sea salt, roast 30 min on 375
– Veggie stir fry
– Tomatoes and avocado and black beans
– Mixed green salad with avocado. (tofu, chickpeas or other beans are great addition for protein)
– Pho soup with tofu & veggies
– Vegan protein shake
– Veggie chips and hummus
– Apple and peanut butter
HABITS & RITUALS:
– Journal every morning and/or night. Reflect and check in with how you are feeling.
– Find an accountability partner to check in with, it’s so helpful to do this with someone else.
– Create a Pinterest board with healthy recipes and ideas to inspire your wellness week.
– Do hair masks, face masks and take all of your vitamins.
– Dry brush your skin & take warm baths with epsom salt soaks.
– Meditate and rest.
– Get moving. Exercise and do workouts at home.
– Hydrate yourself by drinking over 64 oz of water a day.
A SIMPLE REMINDER.
In addition to filling up your body with nourishing foods, I want to remind you how important it is to nourish your mind at the same time. The relationship with have with ourselves and the way that we eat stems from our emotional state. The more we give grace to ourselves and love our body as it is, the easier the detox will be for you. Remember that you are wonderful, beautiful, special and deserving of a luxurious detox experience. Treat yourself like you are at a 5 star resort. Take your time to prepare foods so that the experience of eating feels like an Italian adventure. Eat slowly and connect with your food. Treat yourself by spending the extra money on organic, fresh foods. When you tell your body and the universe that you are worthy of the best, you become it. You begin to feed yourself with foods that enhance and uplift your life, not weigh you down.
Speak to yourself in beautiful words. Here are a few affirmations I suggest you say during your detox (especially when you’re feeling the need for cheese or wine) :
I am smart and capable of doing incredible things.
Life is a wonderful playground filled with opportunities.
I have clarity and know exactly what I want.
I love taking care of my body.
Money is fun and easy.
I can do hard things, I am made for this.
My future is bigger than my past.
I am rising to my full potential.
Each day is amazing.
It’s okay to fail.
I love learning and growing.
PREPARATION FOR A BLISSFUL 7-DAY DETOX:
1. Remove any and all temptations from your fridge or pantry. We removed cereals and chips.
2. Prepare for your Detox week by meal planning and shopping: brown rice, fresh and/or frozen veggies (especially kale, spinach, avocados, sweet potato, cauliflower, zucchini, frozen fruit, black beans, lemon, herbal tea, mixed raw nuts, veggie stock for soups, apples, nut butters, gluten-free whole grains, hummus.) I also like to keep apple cider vinegar, a Master Cleanse mix (lemon juice, cayenne pepper, maple syrup mixed in water) and Braggs aminos for flavoring up all of your veggies.
3. Plan for a coffee replacement. I am addicted to coffee, so I need a bit of energy so I keep my morning pink drink on hand. I also keep an endless supply of LaCroix or Topo Chico on hand.
4. Upgrade your blender to ensure you can make as many meals as possible. Green smoothies and juices are so helpful. You will want to make sure all of your means include vegetables and/or lots of the color green.
5. To help curb cravings, keep nuts and nut butters readily available.
6. Schedule your self-care: journal, tongue scraper, bath supplies, facial routine, dry skin brush, exercise, massage.
7. Prepare to hydrate yourself. I have become obsessed with my hydroflask. It is always full and ready to go.
8. Make sure your baths and showers are very hot to help release toxins from the body. Just be sure to hydrate.
9. See if you can find a friend to do it with you, its’s always more fun with a partner.
10. Wash your sheets and make your bedroom cozy. You will need to get plenty of sleep.
Be sure to download the PDF below so you can have a quick reference to your Detox Formula.
Good luck, beauty! Love, Ashlina